Hi, I’m Guido Jansen and I am a cognitive psychologist, e-commerce business optimizer and a digital native.
I was born in 1982 in Zwolle, in the Netherlands. Until 1989 I lived in Hattem. After that I moved to Tiel. After a pit stop of three years in Amersfoort and five in Utrecht I currently live in Breukelen (yes, Brooklyn). Until 8 years ago I spent most of my time swimming and I won several Dutch championships doing so. You’ll find out about this in more detail under the tag “swimming“.
I studied “Applied Cognitive Psychology” at the University of Utrecht. When I was studying there, I was on the Board of the Student Group of Social Sciences (SGS) from ’06 to ’07 as a coordinator of Public Relations. For more info about my study/CV you can take a look at my LinkedIn profile.
Online Communities and Events
I’m quite busy in the Dutch “Open Source“ community. My main involvement lies with web-based applications and the communities involved with it. I founded one of the largest local Joomla! communities worldwide. Additionally, I was a Dutch translation coordinator for Joomla! for quite some time. I also organized the two-day event Joomladays in 2009.
After many years of Joomla! I switched focus to e-commerce and one system in particular: Magento. I am the Dutch Community Manager for Magento. I’m also part of the Community Advisory Board and I organize the yearly Meet Magento event (4th time in 2012). I worked at Magento Gold partner ISM eCompany as an eBusiness consultant and I now work as Senior Conversion Consultant at Online Dialogue.
I worked as a freelancer during my studies and have since been employed at two technology companies. My business cards have always said “e-Business Consultant” on them. Since no-one really has a clear idea of what an e-business consultant really does, this allowed me to do all kinds of cool stuff within those companies. All of my tasks were focussed on e-commerce projects, mainly using the Magento platform and also included:
- Working in mixed teams with clients, front-end and back-end-developers and designers, both locally and internationally.
- Pre-sales consulting (why and how companies should use Magento).
- Writing functional design specifications/ responses to RFPs / project proposals.
- Project management (following the SCRUM method, with both Dutch and Ukrainian developers).
- After-sales consulting (how companies could improve their current Web-shop).
- Setting up usability and A/B testing procedures.
- Creating and developing new business ideas.
- Blogging and speaking about Magento and (Online) Psychology at events.
My goal is to share my knowledge and experiences to provide you with useful information to improve your online business. Have fun reading my posts here and I always enjoy it when you leave a comment behind.